Bay Area food banks facing turkey shortage
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A San Jose charity is desperately short of turkeys for needy families this Thanksgiving and frankly, pretty much every food bank in the Bay Area is facing the same situation.
Sacred Heart Community Service was busy Thursday helping the less fortunate. One of its annual services is giving away 4,000 turkeys along with a box of other food items for Thanksgiving. But this year, they're running behind, and running out of time.
"We need all the support that we can to get those 4,000 turkeys in because we are short, big time. We are short about 3,000 turkeys, which is like, a lot for us given that on Monday we have to give them out and today is Thursday," Garciela Mann with Sacred Heart Community Service said.
Sacred Heart has been providing assistance for low-income families for nearly 50 years. Turkeys can be dropped off at the food bank's Curtner Center in San Jose and Bing Center in San Carlos. Second Harvest Food Bank has extended its hours to make donating easier. Click here for donation hours and locations. Click here for information on donating food and toys to Sacred Heart Community Service.
Click here for information on making donations to the Second Harvest Food Bank.
The Salvation Army Turkey Drop
Who: The Salvation Army, Volunteers, and community partners
When: Friday, November 16, 2012
9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Where: The Salvation Army Central Kitchen (Drive-thru "Turkey Drop")
850 Harrison St., San Francisco, CA
charities, food, holiday, thanksgiving, san jose, san carlos, local news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 55 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events 52 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos