Giving Tuesday encourages donations, charity
November 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- They say it's better to give than receive, and Giving Tuesday is your chance to do just that.
Little Dahlia was born four months early. She has been a patient at Lurie Children's Hospital since then. Nurses keep careful watch of her blood pressure for signs of complications.
Tom Sullivan, Lurie Children's Hospital Foundation, said the hospital has a phenomenal team that takes care of small babies.
Those little blood pressure cuffs are now among the things that you can give. Lurie is part of Children's Miracle Network with the Ultimate Gift Catalog. The catalog is out in time for Giving Tuesday, a national campaign to promote philanthropic giving during the holiday season. For instance, you could donate five infant blood pressure cuffs for $45 or 360 preemie diapers for $170.
Sullivan said the hospital wants to offer the best options possible to children.
Tuesday's donations are expected to have long-term effects. The Red Cross dispatches crews to national disasters like Hurricane Sandy and locally disaster relief workers are dispatched three to four times a day -- often to fires.
The spokeswoman for the Red Cross says a $10 text of RED CROSS to 90999 can buy blankets and supplies for those displaced by disasters.
Participating Local Organizations:
--- American Red Cross of Greater Chicago
--- Children's Hospital is www.givemiracles.org
--- United Way of Lake County
local, leah hope
- SF 'landlords from hell' plead guilty to felonies
- Police enforce pedestrian safety with sting operation
- Fire concerns growing as July 4th approaches
- AMA now recognizes obesity as a disease
- Dog that killed 6-year-old boy euthanized
- Panel restores some pay for lawmakers, governor
- ABC7 Top Scholar: Michael Yu
- Woman receives $130 billion FasTrack bill
- SF LGBT film festival marks 37 years amid SCOTUS rulings
- SF couple uses Task Rabbit, Airbnb apps for profit
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder George Zimmer
- abcnews: Pope invites Down syndrome teen for a spin
- roundup: Potrero Hill stabbing; BART review
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos