Oregon boat catching crab in SF Bay despite strike
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Local fishing boats are tied up right now instead of out collecting a seasonal delicacy - the result of a price war. But some crab are still being snatched out of the water and local fishermen are feeling steamed.
San Francisco crab fisherman sat and watched as a load of crab came in on a boat visiting from Oregon.
"When we tie up we hope that we all stand together so that we can get a price that is fair to everybody and when you see somebody doing something like this, it really does hurt," said San Francisco fisherman Dan Hunt.
The San Francisco crews have decided not to fish since the price of crab recently dropped. They were getting $3 a pound before Thanksgiving, now the price is at $2.75. But the owner of the visiting boat said he has a business to run.
"They think they own this area and if you are not from this town and you come down here and fish, you're just a no good s.o.b.," said Oregon fisherman Dennis Sturgell.
The crew pulled in 30,000 pounds of crab worth $100,000 and they will get $3.25 a pound and it's all going to Canada.
The San Francisco guys are not sure how this will impact their negotiations.
"I'll have to wait and see how this plays out, but it's not good. It does hurt to see a few select guys fishing and everybody else is tied up," said Hunt. "We have our licenses and we are legal to fish, but every year it's a big fight," said Sturgell.
There is no crab at local grocery stores, but they think they will have it by Monday because the season opens in northern Washington this weekend. The season will also open on December 15 along the northern coast.
fisherman's wharf, local news, amy hollyfield
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- A closer look at the America's Cup catamarans 22 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Bay Area man arrested for killing relatives abroad
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case 59 min ago
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend
- Rare Apple computer could fetch $640k at auction
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Teen remembered 19 years after unsolved murder
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup 49 min ago
- Get Free Stuff: Challenge butter; Shoe laces 24 min ago
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Unsolved murder vigil; Oakland shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
1 min ago
- Runways reopened after emergency landing at...
7 min ago