Gun buyback events overwhelmed in SF, Oakland
In the wake of the massacre at an elementary school in Connecticut, police in Oakland and San Francisco were overwhelmed with people handing over firearms at gun buyback events this weekend, San Francisco police Chief Greg Suhr said Monday.
Nearly 300 guns were brought to the event on Saturday at the Omega Boys Club in San Francisco on Saturday while about 300 more were brought to Saint Benedict's Church in Oakland, Suhr said.
"We far exceeded whatever we thought we could get ... based on all the other gun buybacks," he said.
Residents who turned in a working, unloaded gun received $200 per gun on up to three guns, but because of the high volume of guns handed over, roughly half of the people had to be given vouchers for the money and organizers are currently looking for funding sources to pay them, Suhr said.
The chief said the high numbers were likely attributed to the shooting that left more than two dozen students and staff dead at an elementary school a day earlier, a case Suhr called "unimaginable."
He said, "We're doing everything we can make sure that those things don't happen ever again anywhere."
Speaking at an unrelated event in the city's Bayview District today, Suhr said many of the people who came to the gun buyback event were relieved to be rid of the firearm.
"A lot of the commentary we got was 'I'm so glad I get to have this out of my house,'" he said, adding that there are also "a lot of cops here in the Bayview that are happy that those guns are off the streets."
guns, oakland, local news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 45 min ago
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
43 min ago