Long lines for crab in SF Christmas Eve
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Christmas Eve dinner would not be the same for many Bay Area families without Dungeness crab on the table.
People kept lining up outside Guardino's sidewalk stand at Fisherman's Wharf to get their crab, but at $25 for a large Dungeness this tradition is not cheap.
"We decided we wanted to do something different the night before Christmas, and we started getting crab, and then I'd get fettuccini and it stuck. On Christmas day we do a traditional dinner, but on Christmas Eve it's got to be crab and it's got to be Dungeness," customer Karen Horton said.
The stormy weather and a brief strike by crabbers two weeks ago put a strain on the supply of fresh crab.
Some stands were running out by mid-morning on Monday and many supermarkets are also already sold out of the tasty treat.
fisherman's wharf, food, local news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial 14 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday