Long lines for crab in SF Christmas Eve
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Christmas Eve dinner would not be the same for many Bay Area families without Dungeness crab on the table.
People kept lining up outside Guardino's sidewalk stand at Fisherman's Wharf to get their crab, but at $25 for a large Dungeness this tradition is not cheap.
"We decided we wanted to do something different the night before Christmas, and we started getting crab, and then I'd get fettuccini and it stuck. On Christmas day we do a traditional dinner, but on Christmas Eve it's got to be crab and it's got to be Dungeness," customer Karen Horton said.
The stormy weather and a brief strike by crabbers two weeks ago put a strain on the supply of fresh crab.
Some stands were running out by mid-morning on Monday and many supermarkets are also already sold out of the tasty treat.
fisherman's wharf, food, local news
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 27 min ago
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall 30 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
27 min ago
- Bay Area residents monitor SKorea ferry...
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos