Long lines for crab in SF Christmas Eve
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Christmas Eve dinner would not be the same for many Bay Area families without Dungeness crab on the table.
People kept lining up outside Guardino's sidewalk stand at Fisherman's Wharf to get their crab, but at $25 for a large Dungeness this tradition is not cheap.
"We decided we wanted to do something different the night before Christmas, and we started getting crab, and then I'd get fettuccini and it stuck. On Christmas day we do a traditional dinner, but on Christmas Eve it's got to be crab and it's got to be Dungeness," customer Karen Horton said.
The stormy weather and a brief strike by crabbers two weeks ago put a strain on the supply of fresh crab.
Some stands were running out by mid-morning on Monday and many supermarkets are also already sold out of the tasty treat.
fisherman's wharf, food, local news
- 6.9 quake rattles off the Northern California coast 53 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 28 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos