CHP reports drop in dui arrests over holiday weekend
Over the Christmas holiday weekend, DUI arrests were down, but fatal collisions were up in the Bay Area from a year ago, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The CHP reported that 165 people were arrested for driving under the influence over the holiday weekend.
Three fatal collisions were reported over the weekend, the CHP said.
A year ago during the Christmas weekend, the CHP reported 188 DUI arrests, but no fatal collisions.
Statewide, there were 1170 DUI arrests made, up nearly 200 more than the 980 arrests made in 2011.
A total of 23 fatal collisions were recorded in CHP patrolled roadways, up 13 from 2011.
On city patrolled roads, 16 fatal collisions were reported, up 12 from a year ago.
The reporting weekend was Dec. 21 at 6 p.m. through Christmas Day.
DUI, richmond, pinole, oakland, berkeley, san jose, san leandro, contra costa county, CHP, christmas, local news
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- Wind wreaks havoc across the Bay Area
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related 30 min ago
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- Group wants parents to boycott Harvey Milk Day
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- 7 On Your Side: Save on summer vacation flights
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: Boy nearly run-over; Oklahoma aid
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday