CHP reports drop in dui arrests over holiday weekend
Over the Christmas holiday weekend, DUI arrests were down, but fatal collisions were up in the Bay Area from a year ago, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The CHP reported that 165 people were arrested for driving under the influence over the holiday weekend.
Three fatal collisions were reported over the weekend, the CHP said.
A year ago during the Christmas weekend, the CHP reported 188 DUI arrests, but no fatal collisions.
Statewide, there were 1170 DUI arrests made, up nearly 200 more than the 980 arrests made in 2011.
A total of 23 fatal collisions were recorded in CHP patrolled roadways, up 13 from 2011.
On city patrolled roads, 16 fatal collisions were reported, up 12 from a year ago.
The reporting weekend was Dec. 21 at 6 p.m. through Christmas Day.
DUI, richmond, pinole, oakland, berkeley, san jose, san leandro, contra costa county, CHP, christmas, local news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case