1 fatal crash, 208 DUI arrests over New Year's
The California Highway Patrol is reporting that it made the same number of DUI arrests in the Bay Area over the holiday compared to the same period last year while fatal collisions were down.
From 6 p.m. last Thursday to Tuesday to 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, the CHP reported one fatal collision in the Bay Area and 208 DUI arrests. Last year, the CHP saw three fatal crashes and 208 DUI arrests during the same period, according to CHP officials.
Statewide, 1,273 drivers were arrested on suspicion of DUI over the past four days, compared to 1,270 arrests statewide during the same enforcement period last year.
Out of the 16 people killed in crashes on CHP-patrolled roadways over the holiday weekend, four were not wearing seatbelts, officials said.
The CHP is reminding motorists to use a designated driver rather than driving under the influence and to buckle up.
CHP, DUI, crash, local news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean 44 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward 26 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 40 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case