Groups rally to mark 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade
Pro-choice groups gathered around the Bay Area on Tuesday to mark the 40th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision, which legalized abortion.
The Los Altos-Mountain View branch of the American Association of University Women and other groups held a rally at the Los Altos Youth Center at 11:30 a.m. They then participated in an hour-long march.
The group Stop Patriarchy planned a noon rally outside San Francisco City Hall to protest what it calls in increase in anti-abortion restrictions being enacted across the country.
On Saturday, groups that oppose abortion are holding a large march and rally in San Francisco.
The Walk for Life West Coast will start with a 12:30 p.m. rally in Civic Center Plaza, followed by a march down Market Street toward Justin Herman Plaza. Pro-choice groups plan to hold a counter-rally at 10 a.m. at Justin Herman Plaza.
As the debate over abortion continues, the University of California at Berkeley School of Law announced last week the launch of its new Center on Reproductive Rights and Justice, dedicated to studying the impacts of reproductive laws on women and society.
The center, founded by professor and Pulitzer Prize nominee Kristin Luker, seeks to publish the first legal textbook on U.S. reproductive rights law within the next two years.
supreme court, abortion, local news
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology 28 min ago
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup 46 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
12 min ago