Groups rally to mark 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade
Pro-choice groups gathered around the Bay Area on Tuesday to mark the 40th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision, which legalized abortion.
The Los Altos-Mountain View branch of the American Association of University Women and other groups held a rally at the Los Altos Youth Center at 11:30 a.m. They then participated in an hour-long march.
The group Stop Patriarchy planned a noon rally outside San Francisco City Hall to protest what it calls in increase in anti-abortion restrictions being enacted across the country.
On Saturday, groups that oppose abortion are holding a large march and rally in San Francisco.
The Walk for Life West Coast will start with a 12:30 p.m. rally in Civic Center Plaza, followed by a march down Market Street toward Justin Herman Plaza. Pro-choice groups plan to hold a counter-rally at 10 a.m. at Justin Herman Plaza.
As the debate over abortion continues, the University of California at Berkeley School of Law announced last week the launch of its new Center on Reproductive Rights and Justice, dedicated to studying the impacts of reproductive laws on women and society.
The center, founded by professor and Pulitzer Prize nominee Kristin Luker, seeks to publish the first legal textbook on U.S. reproductive rights law within the next two years.
supreme court, abortion, local news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake 34 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse 57 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco 18 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- California criminal behind 3-strikes law arrested 50 min ago
- MasterCard, Visa plan group focused on security 39 min ago
- Police arrest man, 3 teens for attempted home burglary 22 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case