Groups rally to mark 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade
Pro-choice groups gathered around the Bay Area on Tuesday to mark the 40th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision, which legalized abortion.
The Los Altos-Mountain View branch of the American Association of University Women and other groups held a rally at the Los Altos Youth Center at 11:30 a.m. They then participated in an hour-long march.
The group Stop Patriarchy planned a noon rally outside San Francisco City Hall to protest what it calls in increase in anti-abortion restrictions being enacted across the country.
On Saturday, groups that oppose abortion are holding a large march and rally in San Francisco.
The Walk for Life West Coast will start with a 12:30 p.m. rally in Civic Center Plaza, followed by a march down Market Street toward Justin Herman Plaza. Pro-choice groups plan to hold a counter-rally at 10 a.m. at Justin Herman Plaza.
As the debate over abortion continues, the University of California at Berkeley School of Law announced last week the launch of its new Center on Reproductive Rights and Justice, dedicated to studying the impacts of reproductive laws on women and society.
The center, founded by professor and Pulitzer Prize nominee Kristin Luker, seeks to publish the first legal textbook on U.S. reproductive rights law within the next two years.
supreme court, abortion, local news
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge 38 min ago
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech 22 min ago
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo 6 min ago
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole 41 min ago
- San Jose firefighters control 1-alarm house fire
- Safety recommendations released for America's Cup
- Surprise sting targets passenger vehicles at SFO
- 'Attractive & Fat' campaign slams Abercrombie & Fitch
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos