Discarded cigarette sparks garage fire in Cupertino
CUPERTINO, Calif. -- A garage fire at a Cupertino house on Thursday afternoon appears to have been started by a discarded cigarette, according to Santa Clara County Fire Department officials.
Fire crews responded to the blaze at 10600 Randy Lane around 2:20 p.m., fire officials said.
Arriving crews found light smoke coming from the rear of a single-story house with a detached garage.
The homeowner was in the street when crews arrived and said the garage roof was on fire.
Firefighters found a resident on a ladder using a garden hose to try to extinguish the small fire on the wooden roof of the garage.
Firefighters took over and quickly extinguished the fire, officials said.
Crews left the scene at 4:15 p.m. after PG&E crews arrived and inspected utilities.
The cause of the fire appears be to a cigarette that was thrown onto the garage roof by a resident in the home, officials said.
fire, cupertino, local news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 39 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens 39 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 38 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at... 46 min ago
- Should you be concerned about living on the...
55 min ago