Cosco Busan pilot suing the Coast Guard
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The ship pilot blamed for causing the worst oil spill in San Francisco Bay in two decades is now suing the Coast Guard to get his license back.
The Mercury News reports Captain John Cota has filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, claiming his civil rights were violated when he was not allowed to renew his license.
The state board of pilot commissioners found Cota at fault for crashing the cargo ship Cosco Busan into a tower of the Bay Bridge in 2007. About 53,000 gallons of bunker fuel spilled into the Bay.
cosco busan, oil spill, san francisco bay, golden gate bridge, bay bridge, local news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight 41 min ago
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash 18 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday