Lock down lifted at schools after police arrest burglar
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Two elementary schools in San Jose's Berryessa area were locked down for more than two hours Monday as police investigated a residential burglary, police said.
The Superintendent confirmed it was a lockdown and not a shelter in place.
Police told Ruskin Elementary School and St. Victor School to go on lockdown soon after officers were dispatched to a report of a burglary in progress on nearby Zion Lane at about 9:50 a.m., police spokesman Officer Albert Morales said.
The lockdowns were lifted at about 12:40 p.m. after officers arrested the burglary suspect, Morales said.
"We're satisfied we have the person we're looking for," Morales said, adding that police were still in the process of identifying the suspect.
The suspect did not appear to have a firearm, Morales said.
Kialyn Higashi, school secretary at Ruskin, a K-5 public school at 1401 Turlock Lane, said the school was told by police to "shelter in place" shortly before 10:30 a.m., and got the all-clear notification at about 12:47 p.m.
"Students were fed their lunches" in their classrooms, Higashi said. "They remained in the building until it was lifted."
"There have been a lot of robberies here in the Berryessa area," Higashi added.
St. Victor's is a K-8 private Catholic school at 3150 Sierra Road.
crime, san jose, SJPD, local news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events 34 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty in corruption case
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos