San Jose St. fires basketball coach George Nessman
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose State has fired men's basketball coach George Nessman after eight seasons with the Spartans.
Athletic director Gene Bleymaier announced the move on Wednesday, a day after San Jose State's season ended with a 67-49 loss to UTSA in the WAC tournament in Las Vegas.
The Spartans went 9-20 this season, their second straight campaign with only nine wins. Nessman had an 86-161 record in his tenure and led the team to the College Basketball Invitational in 2011.
San Jose State is looking to upgrade the program before its move to the more strenuous Mountain West Conference next season.
san jose spartans, NCAA, local news
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight 52 min ago
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash 29 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday