Trader Joe's, Whole Foods won't sell genetically modified salmon
The Food and Drug Administration says it's safe, but two supermarket chains say they don't want genetically modified fish in their stores. Both Trader Joes and Whole Foods Market said they will not sell a new type of genetically-engineered salmon when it receives FDA approval.
It's a cross between an Atlantic and Pacific salmon and can grow twice as fast as regular salmon.
The FDA says the genetically modified salmon won't cause health problems or harm the environment. Critics say it could threaten other salmon if it gets into the wild.
- BART and unions to meet today over contract
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Fiery big-rig crash cleared from I-80 in Pinole
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos