Federal budget cuts force Blue Angels to cancel 2013 Fleet Week performance
Federal budget cuts have forced the Navy to cancel all remaining 2013 performances by the Blue Angels, including Fleet Week.
The squadron will continue to train to maintain flying proficiency until further notice at its home station in Pensacola, Florida.
According to a press release by the Navy: "Recognizing budget realities, current Defense policy states that outreach events can only be supported with local assets at no cost to the government. This is one of many steps the Navy is taking to ensure resources are in place to support forces operating forward now and those training to relieve them."
blue angels, fleet week, sequester, local news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area 5 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela ceremony 12 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial 17 min ago
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings 26 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela...
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos