Handful of post offices to stay open late for taxes
A handful of Bay Area post offices will stay open late today to allow last minute tax filers to turn in their paperwork.
The tax day lines at most post offices have shrunk in recent years because more people are filing their taxes online, according to U.S. Postal Service officials.
Most post offices will maintain normal hours today, but for those who need to get that last-minute postmark, extended hours are available at the main post offices in San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland and Salinas, as well as at the Airport Station at 660 West Field Road in San Francisco and at the North Bay P&DC at 1150 McDowell Blvd. in Petaluma.
The San Francisco locations will be open until midnight, with both window and curbside locations. The San Jose and Oakland post offices will be open until 10 p.m., with both window and curbside service.
The Petaluma location will offer window service until 6 p.m. and curbside drop off from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., and the Salinas location will offer curbside service until 8 p.m.
Postal service officials do not encourage late filing, since it contributes to mistakes, including insufficient postage and incorrect mailing addresses. Postage is 46 cents for the first ounce, or about four pages, and 20 cents for each additional ounce.
taxes, USPS, IRS, local news
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- At 50, new-look Mustang still has plenty of muscle 21 min ago
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Officer-involved shooting shuts down I-5
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro apartment fire 50 min ago
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Northern California couple has rare triplets
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos