Flight from SFO to Germany diverted to Seattle
SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT -- A Lufthansa flight headed to Munich from San Francisco International Airport on Thursday night was diverted to Seattle when an electrical smell was detected on the plane, an airline spokesman said.
Lufthansa flight No. 459 left San Francisco around 9 p.m. and, after a few hours, crews got information that there was an electrical smell on the aircraft, Lufthansa spokesman Nils Haupt said.
The captain decided to land at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and the descent was declared an emergency landing.
The plane landed safely in Seattle just before midnight, Haupt said.
Upon landing, three cabin crewmembers and one passenger were treated aboard the aircraft after reporting feeling dizzy, Haupt said.
There were 323 passengers aboard the plane.
Immediately after landing, technicians boarded the plane to look into the cause of the smell.
Most passengers were booked on other flights or otherwise provided hotel accommodations.
Haupt said an investigation into the cause of the electrical smell is ongoing.
Once the issue has been resolved, the aircraft, an Airbus A340-600, will either return to SFO empty or will fly to Frankfurt from Seattle, he said.
san francisco international airport, local news
- Freeze Warning remains in effect across Bay Area
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela 44 min ago
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Speeding driver rear-ends San Jose police officer 46 min ago
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs added 38 min ago
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Hate crime task force; Suspect fatally shot
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos