First Bay Area baby of 2014 born in San Jose
SAN JOSE -- A baby girl born in the South Bay appears to be the first baby born in the Bay Area in 2014, a hospital spokesman said.
The baby girl, named Liliana Noel, was born two seconds past midnight at Kaiser Permanente San Jose Medical Center, spokesman Karl Sonkin said. She weighed 8 pounds 7 ounces at birth and was 21 inches long.
She has two older sisters who are just as excited as mom and dad about the new addition to the family.
"She was due on the 31st," Melinda Tiopan said. "So we always knew it could be a December or January birthday. We didn't know which year or what she would be, so lots of surprises. We didn't think a new year's baby though."
Another baby girl was also born at Kaiser Permanente San Jose Medical Center at 12:01 a.m., Sonkin said. She weighed 5 pounds 15 ounces at birth and was 18 inches long.
In San Francisco two baby boys were born at separate hospitals moments into 2014. A baby boy was born at Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Medical Center eight seconds past midnight, spokesman Joe Fragola said.
Another baby boy was born at California Pacific Medical Center's California campus at 12:01 a.m., hospital spokeswoman Barbara Dunn said. His mother, Mei Yang of Hong Kong, has yet to give him name, Dunn said. He weighed 6 pounds 15 ounces at birth and was 19 inches long. Drs. Yuan-Da Fan and Lauri Green delivered the boy by cesarean section, Dunn said.
(ABC7 News contributed to this report)
holiday, new year's eve, new year's eve event, children, pregnancy, local news
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Market streets in SF 36 min ago
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Officials investigate cause of house fire
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches 16 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos