SFPD cop in court for alleged molestation of Concord teen
MARTINEZ, Calif. -- A San Francisco police officer appeared in Contra Costa County Superior Court in Martinez Friday on charges that he molested a 15-year-old boy in Concord and kept child pornography.
Prosecutors last week charged 38-year-old Richard Hastings with nine felony counts of lewd and lascivious acts on a 15-year-old child and one felony count of possession of child pornography.
He turned himself in on an arrest warrant Tuesday at the county jail in Martinez, where he is being held on $910,000 bail, according to Deputy District Attorney Alison Chandler.
Chandler said the alleged molestation occurred between last June and August, but she declined to provide further details about the case.
Hastings was arrested in Concord on Aug. 21 on suspicion of child molestation after police launched an investigation into the allegations. He was later released on bail and prosecutors initially declined to file charges against him pending further investigation.
The San Francisco Police Department, where Hastings has worked since 2001, immediately suspended him without pay following his arrest, according to a San Francisco police spokesman.
Hastings is set to return to court on Monday for a bail hearing and arraignment.
Eileen Burke, a private attorney, said today that she expects to represent him.
sex crimes, concord, SFPD, crime, local news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos