East Bay News
BART shooting similar to 1992 incident
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- More than 16 years ago, Bay Area Rapid Transit investigators dealt with a very similar shooting of a young African-American man by a BART officer.
In January 1993, protesters rallied outside of BART offices, demanding an independent investigation into the shooting of 19-year-old Jerrold Hall.
Hall was shot in the back of the head two months earlier outside a Hayward BART station.
The BART officer had been investigating a complaint of a stolen Walkman on one of the trains and stopped to question Hall and a friend.
More than 16 years after the incident, Hall's father Cornelius spoke to ABC7 News from Pensacola, Florida.
"The cop confronted him and he asked the policeman, 'what did I do,' and it went on from there," Cornelius Hall said. "The officer hit him in the chest with the shotgun, breaking the butt of the shotgun over his head."
His son then walked away, Hall said.
Mike Healy, a BART spokesperson at the time, remembers the officer was cleared after the BART Firearms Review Board concluded the use of lethal force was justified.
"The young man who was shot attacked the officer and then turned around and walked away," Healy said. "The officer's account was that he believed he was going for a gun that he had hidden somewhere on the edge of the parking lot."
No gun was ever found.
The BART officer in the Hall shooting, Fred Crabtree, later suffered an accidental death.
The FBI investigated the case and found no wrong doing, a finding that disappointed the Hall family.
"It wasn't as heated as this one, it wasn't as explosive is, because there was no video tape, so it was just the war of words that goes on," Copwatch member Andrea Prichett, who remembers the public's reaction, said.
The Oscar Grant shooting earlier this month has reopened some wounds for Hall. After their son's death the Hall family asked the BART board for oversight of the department.
"They promised me after my son's case was over that they would try to get a police review board, which they didn't," Hall said.
Today, following the Oscar Grant shooting, many are again asking for an independent review board to oversee this investigation.
east bay news, lyanne melendez
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire 44 min ago
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries 14 min ago
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos