East Bay News
Inspirational boy fulfills promise to donate hair
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- Here is a story about a little boy who knows all about keeping a promise.
Last month, Angel Martinez learned how hard life can be when his father was robbed and killed.
He and his mom stumbled upon the crime scene at 33rd and International Boulevard en route to Children's Hospital Oakland.
Angel was going there to cut his hair as part of a fundraiser for cancer patients. On Wednesday night, Angel came back to finish what he started.
"And only a child could do this. Only a child could suffer this level of loss and still be concerned about what they can give to someone else. It's the testament to what children are like and he's a real hero -- there's no getting around it," said Crystal Gariano, the administrative coordinator of the Children's Neurosurgery Department at Children's Hospital Oakland.
Angel donated 20 inches of hair to Locks of Love. His empathy comes from the head surgery he endured when he was a baby.
east bay news
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 16 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
18 min ago