East Bay News
Apartment fire causes $3.2M in damage
SAN RAMON, CA -- A three-alarm fire caused about $3.2 million in damage to a 16-unit apartment building in San Ramon Wednesday morning, San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District spokeswoman Kim French said.
The fire was reported in the Country Brook apartment building, a multi-family rental condominium complex on North Summerwood Loop just off Alcosta Boulevard.
The first firefighters arrived at the building at 10:18 a.m. Firefighters called for a third-alarm response and had the blaze under control by 11:14 a.m., French said. Ten engines and two ladder trucks responded.
Firefighters conducted a preliminary search of the building and believe that everyone made it out safely. No injuries were reported, French said.
So far investigators have determined that eight of the 16 apartments were significantly damaged.
The building has a firewall that separates the eight damaged units from the other eight units. The firewall appears to have protected half of the building, but firefighters this afternoon were still looking to see if any other apartments were damaged, French said.
None of the residents will be allowed back into the building until it is determined to be safe, French said.
Preliminary reports indicated that the fire started in a first-floor apartment, but the cause and origin have not yet been determined, French said.
east bay news
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday