East Bay News
Services held to honor Mother Wright
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- Hundreds of people gathered in Oakland Wednesday night to say good-bye to an iconic Good Samaritan.
Mary Ann Wright, also known as Mother Wright, spent decades feeding the homeless and hungry in Oakland when she passed away last week. ABC7's Dan Ashley was asked by the family to be master of ceremonies for the services.
The services were held at the Oakland convention center. Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums and State Attorney General Jerry Brown were among the speakers. Lots of people were there to salute the woman who spent decades feeding the homeless and hungry.
Wright was 87 years old when she died May 8th in a Berkeley hospital, after years of struggling with heart problems. Her namesake foundation continues to bring food and clothing to the needy.
Mother Wright had 11 children of her own and another she adopted. In addition she had 33 grandchildren and 37 great grand children.
Through her foundation, she fed roughly 450 people every day at her warehouse on San Pablo Avenue. At the age of 63 she started her charitable work when it came to her in a dream in 1980.
"I was the one who lived with her and grew up with her. At the nucleus of it, I learned how to establish morals, have strong values and going out and representing yourself whether it's working for a fortune 500 company, which I've done before, or if it's giving someone spare change. Just doing things with a high level of dignity," said Illya Dailey, Mother Wright's grandson.
Wright clearly left an indelible mark on the city of Oakland with a legacy of caring and compassion.
Her funeral will be held Thursday at the Acts Full Gospel Church in Oakland.
The foundation started by the late Mary Ann Wright continues to collect canned food, toys and cash for needy Bay Area families. The Mother Mary Ann Wright foundation may be contacted at:
Mother Mary Ann Wright Foundation
east bay news, dan ashley
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks 4 min ago
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- Man arrested for DUI after injury crash in Russian Hill 43 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case 43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos