East Bay News
Garrido's 1976 rape victim tells her story
ANTIOCH, CA (KGO) -- The woman Phillip Garrido was convicted of kidnapping and raping in Reno in 1976 spoke Monday night for the first time since Dugard's rescue last week in Antioch.
The woman, Katie Callaway Hall, spoke to Larry King and said she was shocked to find out Garrido was paroled in 1988.
Callaway Hall: "In fact, we had been told his projected release time was 2006."
Larry King: "And he was sentenced to how long?"
Callaway Hall: "He was sentenced to, if I remember, it was 50 to life on the rape, and life on the kidnap,"
Larry King: "So he's in jail, you felt comfortable, you go on with your life, right?"
Callaway Hall: "Actually, I never did quite feel comfortable, but I mean it takes a long time to overcome something like this."
PHOTOS: Jaycee Lee Dugard's daughters
RAW VIDEO: Garridos in court
AUDIO: Listen to Garrido's jailhouse interview
Documents from Callaway Hall's case were made public on Monday. They include testimony from Garrido in which he admits, he often prowled through neighborhoods as a peeping Tom and suffered from strong rape desires.
Garrido has admitted to kidnapping Jaycee Dugard in South Lake Tahoe in 1991, which was less than three years after being paroled for the attack on Callaway Hall.
Yet the FBI admitted on Monday, it never suspected Garrido and his wife in the disappearance of Dugard.
"We didn't have anything that remotely was close to these people," said Special Agent Chris Campion.
Agent Campion talked about the case in a podcast on the FBI's website. He is the one who got to call Dugard's mother, Terry, and tell her Dugard had been found alive. And he was there when mother and daughter reunited last week.
"It was a very emotional scene. Both of them were just overjoyed to be with each other again. There's going to be a period of adjustment, no doubt, but they're doing very well at this point," said Campion.
At 6 p.m. Monday night, investigators finally wrapped up their search of the Garrido home. Neighbors hope their departure will also mean the end of the constant parade of people who now slowly drive up and down Walnut Avenue.
Again, the county condemned the Garrido home, calling it unsafe, and saying if anyone tries to get on the property, they will be arrested.
- Bone fragment found next to Garrido home
- Police expand search in Garrido case
- Investigators face scrutiny in Dugard case
- Abduction invokes saga of Elizabeth Smart
- 29 charges filed against kidnapping suspects
- Garrido's father: "He's absolutely out of his mind"
- Garrido investigated in prostitute murders
- UC Berkeley police broke Dugard case
- Tahoe girl kidnapped in 1991 found alive
- LINK: FBI podcast about solving Dugard's case
- SLIDESHOW: Jaycee Lee Dugard's daughters
- RAW VIDEO: RAW: UC Berkeley press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Garridos in court
- AUDIO: Jailhouse interview
- SLIDESHOW: Jaycee Dugard case
- RAW VIDEO: Contra Costa Co. Sheriff's Dept. press conference
- RAW VIDEO: El Dorado County press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Dept. of Corrections press conference
- ABC7 EXTRA: Reaction from Dugard's stepfather
east bay news, amy hollyfield
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket 51 min ago
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bay Bridge bolt fix running a month behind schedule
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water 4 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions 46 min ago
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Rescued paralyzed dog comforts siblings with autism
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 47 min ago
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
9 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car...
46 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning...
51 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos