East Bay News
Investigators seize Phillip Garrido's van
ANTIOCH, CA (KGO) -- Investigators pulled a filthy yellow van out of the backyard of kidnap and rape suspect Phillip Garrido Friday afternoon.
In another mysterious twist in the ongoing investigation of Phillip Garrido and the property where he is accused of keeping Jaycee Dugard for 18 years, investigators Friday towed away a van that was parked in brush and dirt in Garrido's backyard in an unincorporated part of East Contra Costa County.
It took detectives from the Contra Costa Sheriff's Department some time to dig the filthy yellow van out of its shrouded location in the backyard of Phillip Garrido.
Once exposed, the Dodge Ram was pulled out with a chain and loaded onto the back of a flatbed truck.
Contra Costa sheriffs would not say what if any role it might have played in the 18-year imprisonment of Jaycee Dugard or whether it may figure into some other crime on the property.
Antioch Mayor Jim Davis is worried that all the media coverage of the Garrido case is giving his city a bad reputation.
"Any city would suffer from such information that was given out erroneously like that," Davis said.
Davis wants the public to know that Garrido's Walnut Avenue home is well out of the city limits, in an unincorporated portion of East Contra Costa County.
"The citizens of Anitioch are proud of their community and they want to convey that out to the rest of the world, that we are a community and like any other in the Bay Area, has problems, but we want to make sure that it is made known that Antioch is a safe community and that we all live and play here as well," Davis said.
Chamber of Commerce President Ralph Garrow said he is not too concerned.
"I think it's a short-time thing, as long as people understand that the cause of it is not Antioch, that it's actually a county jurisdictional area and the county's been derelict in maintaining that area," Garrow said.
Antioch resident Rita Aiello does not think the notoriety is all bad.
"It's just unfortunate that it has to be this way; yes, it is publicity, not good publicity, but at least people know of us now," Aiello said.
The unincorporated area where Garrido's home is located is known locally as the Viera Lane neighborhood. About 270 people live in the neighborhood. Antioch has been trying to annex the area for some time.
- Jaycee's aunt: "We laughed and cried together"
- Police believe Garrido kidnapped girl in 1972
- Garrido a suspect in Michaela Garecht case
- Old police records foreshadow kidnappings
- Attorney: Nancy Garrido was a victim
- Garrido's 1976 rape victim talks to GMA
- Garrido's 1976 rape victim talks to Larry King
- Bone fragment found next to Garrido home
- Police expand search in Garrido case
- Investigators face scrutiny in Dugard case
- Abduction invokes saga of Elizabeth Smart
- 29 charges filed against kidnapping suspects
- Garrido's father: "He's absolutely out of his mind"
- Garrido investigated in prostitute murders
- UC Berkeley police broke Dugard case
- Tahoe girl kidnapped in 1991 found alive
- Garrido's 1976 Reno rape police report (88 pages)
- Phillip Garrido's criminal history timeline (2 pages)
- LINK: FBI podcast about solving Dugard's case
- PHOTOS: Jaycee Lee Dugard's daughters
- RAW VIDEO: RAW: UC Berkeley press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Garridos in court
- AUDIO: Jailhouse interview
- SLIDESHOW: Jaycee Dugard case
- RAW VIDEO: Contra Costa Co. Sheriff's Dept. press conference
- RAW VIDEO: El Dorado County press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Dept. of Corrections press conference
- ABC7 EXTRA: Reaction from Dugard's stepfather
east bay news, laura anthony
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials 16 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord 59 min ago
- CHP reopens two lanes of WB I-80 in SF 41 min ago
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists 12 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos