East Bay News
Next moves planned in Oakland parking battle
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- Oakland business owners are deciding what to do next, now that the city council failed to get rid of a new set of unpopular parking regulations. Those businessmen and women packed an emotional council meeting Tuesday night that lasted into the wee hours of the morning.
Some business owners are putting a petition together to recall every single city councilmember who is not willing to undo the parking restrictions that they believe are destroying commerce in Oakland.
The city has increased parking meter rates, parking fine rates and hours of enforcement.
Some business owners claim it is costing them their livelihood.
"I've already gotten 10 emails this morning from people urging to move forward with the recall. Last night, I presented the council with 10,000 signatures of Oakland citizens who pledged to recall them and remove them from office if they don't fix this. Last night, they chose not to listen to the people of Oakland. I see no other choice at this time," said Grand Lake Theater owner Allen Michaan.
The city council did vote to address the issue again in two weeks. The businesses claim they are losing 30 percent of their business. One idea is to study each district in Oakland to find which ones are hurt the most and adjust parking meter rates accordingly.
east bay news, terry mcsweeney
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Thieves target True Religion jeans
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos