East Bay News
School beefs up security after campus brawl
RICHMOND, CA (KGO) -- There are extra police are on campus at De Anza High School in Richmond Friday after a massive fight involving an estimated 60 students.
The brawl began around 1:30 p.m. Thursday and officials quickly locked the school down.
Police arrested 11 students and charged them with fighting on campus; some will also face charges of assaulting campus security.
Investigators say it is still unclear exactly how the fight began, but ABC7 media partner The Contra Costa Times reports that it started when a black student approached a Hispanic student and told him his gang was no longer welcome on campus.
richmond, school lockdown, east bay news
- Boy drowns after falling into canal in Antioch
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF
- Angel Pagan wins it for SF Giants with inside-the-park HR
- Josh Donaldson, A's power past Astros 11-5
- Castillo scores as FC Dallas tops Earthquakes 1-0
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained
- San Antonio flooding kills one; 200-plus rescued
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday