East Bay News
School beefs up security after campus brawl
RICHMOND, CA (KGO) -- There are extra police are on campus at De Anza High School in Richmond Friday after a massive fight involving an estimated 60 students.
The brawl began around 1:30 p.m. Thursday and officials quickly locked the school down.
Police arrested 11 students and charged them with fighting on campus; some will also face charges of assaulting campus security.
Investigators say it is still unclear exactly how the fight began, but ABC7 media partner The Contra Costa Times reports that it started when a black student approached a Hispanic student and told him his gang was no longer welcome on campus.
richmond, school lockdown, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 57 min ago
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting 31 min ago
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday