East Bay News
Capt. Sully's pilot's cap goes for $5,800
Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger's pilot's cap was sold for $5,800 on eBay Monday to raise money for two local elementary schools.
The money will be given to Lockwood Elementary School in Oakland and Dougherty Valley High School in San Ramon.
Sullenberger, a Danville resident, achieved fame on Jan. 15 when he piloted US Airways flight No. 1549 safely into the Hudson River in New York, saving the lives of all 155 people on board.
Bidding on the hat began at 9 a.m. last Monday and ended at about 9 a.m. today. There were 68 bids for the hat, according to eBay.
Auction organizers said Lockwood Elementary School serves one of Oakland's poorest and most crime-ridden neighborhoods, with nearly all of its students coming from families whose earnings fall below the federal poverty level.
Dougherty Valley High School only opened in the fall of 2007, but it already has been ranked by the Academic Performance Index as one of the top schools in its district.
The two schools are sister schools.
Sullenberger's wife, Lorrie Sullenberger, said in a prepared statement, "Sully and I were excited by the opportunity to help these two public schools."
"We hope that the winner will enjoy owning Sully's hat but also that they will be happy that they have helped fund two deserving educational institutions," she said.
sully sullenberger, oakland, east bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos