East Bay News
High school teacher killed in motorcyle crash
OAKLEY, CA -- A Freedom High School driver's education teacher was killed in a motorcycle crash in Oakley this morning, officials said.
Shortly after 8 a.m. Oakley police responded to a report of a crash involving a motorcycle and a street sweeper on Neroly Road at Frandoras Circle, Oakley Police Chief Chris Thorsen said.
The motorcyclist, identified by the Contra Costa County coroner's office as 56-year-old Antioch resident Charles Edgle Smith, was pronounced dead at the scene, Thorsen said.
The driver of the street sweeper is cooperating with the investigation and police do not believe drugs or alcohol contributed to the crash, Thorsen said.
oakley, east bay news
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF 15 min ago
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York 48 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos