East Bay News
Death of woman found in burning car deemed suspicious
LAFAYETTE, CA -- The death of an elderly woman who was found inside a burning car in a remote area of Lafayette last month is being investigated as suspicious, but the cause of her death remains a mystery, Contra Costa County sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee said today.
Lafayette police responded to a report of a vehicle fire in the 900 block of Hunsaker Canyon Road at 6:18 p.m. on Dec. 4.
When they arrived, officers found the car, a 1990 Lexus LS 400, engulfed in flames and hanging partway over the edge of an embankment, Lee said.
Inside, investigators found human remains, which were later determined to be those of Eiko Sugihara, an 86-year-old North Richmond resident. Sugihara's cause of death could not be determined because her body was too badly burned in the fire, Lee said.
Detectives have found evidence that Sugihara was at Hilltop Mall in Richmond getting her hair done several hours before she died, but they still don't know how she ended up in Lafayette, Lee said.
She has family in the Bay Area, but doesn't seem to know anyone out on Hunsaker Canyon Road, which is an unpaved road that leads to rural unincorporated Contra Costa County.
Investigators are also still working to determine how her car caught fire, Lee said.
Anyone with information that could be helpful to the investigation is asked to call the sheriff's office at (925) 313-2632.
car fire, lafayette, east bay news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo 52 min ago
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver 13 min ago
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
31 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos