East Bay News
Firefighters clean up after smoky scrap yard fire
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- Oakland firefighters are cleaning up hotspots after a very smoky fire at a steel yard Friday morning.
Fire investigators are still trying to figure out how a massive scrap metal heap caught fire just before 8 a.m.
Crews have now spent hours dousing the heap with water.
The fire created a lot of smoke but nobody was injured and air quality officials say the smoke is not toxic.
fire, oakland, east bay news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit 2 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...