East Bay News
NAACP, others sue Union City Police over gang violence
UNION CITY, CA (KGO) -- The NAACP joined several families in filing lawsuits Monday against Union City Police and school officials claiming they do not do enough to protect African American teens from gang violence.
Part of the suit stems from the December 2007 shooting death of 14-year-old Vernon Eddins outside of Barnard-White Middle School.
Nobody has been arrested for that crime.
The lawsuit claims a Hispanic gang called the "Decotos" has targeted black youths for several years.
Eddins' mother, Alvette Fobbs, is one of the people suing Union City police and the New Haven Unified School District.
"Our kids are living a horror movie. They've had to live this life for three years. An innocent life has been taken, attempts on others, and still nothing is being done," says Fobbs.
"The Union City Police Department and the City of Union City have a long-standing record of being responsive to the supporting and defending the rights of all members of our diverse community," says police department Capt. Kevin Finnerty.
The plaintiffs also insist someone opened fire on a group of teens at Hayward's Southland Mall this past Saturday because they wore shirts honoring Eddins.
gang violence, NAACP, union city, hayward, east bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 53 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District 35 min ago
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 8 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens 8 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 7 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at... 15 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
35 min ago
- Should you be concerned about living on the...
24 min ago
- 'Science cheerleaders' send experiment into...
29 min ago