East Bay News
BART reaches settlement with Oscar Grant's daughter
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- BART has agreed to pay $1.5 million to the 5-year-old daughter of Oscar Grant -- the unarmed man shot and killed by a BART police officer.
Grant's family initially sought $50 million for the 2009 New Year's Day shooting at the Fruitvale BART station, but both parties agreed to $1.5 million after an 11-hour settlement conference.
BART's attorney says the deal should protect Grant's daughter Tatiana for the rest of her life.
"You can't replace a life, but our system of civil law, the tort system, says we must compensate if there's going to be a wrong," Dale Allen said.
Grant's mother Wanda Johnson has yet to settle her civil case.
Johannes Mehserle, the officer accused of shooting Grant, is due to go on trial for murder later this year.
johannes mehserle, oscar grant, BART, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End 40 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87 48 min ago
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child 22 min ago
- Military shell prompted evacuation of hundreds
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch