East Bay News
BART reaches settlement with Oscar Grant's daughter
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- BART has agreed to pay $1.5 million to the 5-year-old daughter of Oscar Grant -- the unarmed man shot and killed by a BART police officer.
Grant's family initially sought $50 million for the 2009 New Year's Day shooting at the Fruitvale BART station, but both parties agreed to $1.5 million after an 11-hour settlement conference.
BART's attorney says the deal should protect Grant's daughter Tatiana for the rest of her life.
"You can't replace a life, but our system of civil law, the tort system, says we must compensate if there's going to be a wrong," Dale Allen said.
Grant's mother Wanda Johnson has yet to settle her civil case.
Johannes Mehserle, the officer accused of shooting Grant, is due to go on trial for murder later this year.
johannes mehserle, oscar grant, BART, east bay news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap 46 min ago
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1 14 min ago
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane 26 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 38 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos