East Bay News
BART reaches settlement with Oscar Grant's daughter
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- BART has agreed to pay $1.5 million to the 5-year-old daughter of Oscar Grant -- the unarmed man shot and killed by a BART police officer.
Grant's family initially sought $50 million for the 2009 New Year's Day shooting at the Fruitvale BART station, but both parties agreed to $1.5 million after an 11-hour settlement conference.
BART's attorney says the deal should protect Grant's daughter Tatiana for the rest of her life.
"You can't replace a life, but our system of civil law, the tort system, says we must compensate if there's going to be a wrong," Dale Allen said.
Grant's mother Wanda Johnson has yet to settle her civil case.
Johannes Mehserle, the officer accused of shooting Grant, is due to go on trial for murder later this year.
johannes mehserle, oscar grant, BART, east bay news
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado 43 min ago
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home 2 min ago
- Spurs rout Grizzlies 105-83 in West finals opener 16 min ago
- Warriors PG Stephen Curry set to receive key to city 57 min ago
- SF police ask for help in solving 2012 B2B homicide
- US gas prices up 11 cents over past 2 weeks
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos