East Bay News
BART reaches settlement with Oscar Grant's daughter
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- BART has agreed to pay $1.5 million to the 5-year-old daughter of Oscar Grant -- the unarmed man shot and killed by a BART police officer.
Grant's family initially sought $50 million for the 2009 New Year's Day shooting at the Fruitvale BART station, but both parties agreed to $1.5 million after an 11-hour settlement conference.
BART's attorney says the deal should protect Grant's daughter Tatiana for the rest of her life.
"You can't replace a life, but our system of civil law, the tort system, says we must compensate if there's going to be a wrong," Dale Allen said.
Grant's mother Wanda Johnson has yet to settle her civil case.
Johannes Mehserle, the officer accused of shooting Grant, is due to go on trial for murder later this year.
johannes mehserle, oscar grant, BART, east bay news
- San Leandro police search for missing 10-year-old boy 15 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 47 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 2 min ago
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Tips for spotting counterfeit bills
38 min ago