East Bay News
Oscar Grant's friends may boost Mehserle's case
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- The former BART officer charged with murdering an unarmed passenger may get an unexpected boost to his defense thanks to statements from the victim's friends.
Johannes Mehserle is charged with fatally shooting Oscar Grant while he was handcuffed at the Fruitvale BART station on New Year's Day 2009.
An attorney for BART says depositions from Grant's friends, detained with him, say they heard Mehserle warn Grant he was going to Tase him. They also say Mehserle did not swear or display anger before shooting Grant.
Defense lawyers all along have claimed Mehserle shot Grant by mistake, thinking he was using his Taser.
johannes mehserle, oscar grant, BART, east bay news
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos