East Bay News
Oscar Grant's friends may boost Mehserle's case
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- The former BART officer charged with murdering an unarmed passenger may get an unexpected boost to his defense thanks to statements from the victim's friends.
Johannes Mehserle is charged with fatally shooting Oscar Grant while he was handcuffed at the Fruitvale BART station on New Year's Day 2009.
An attorney for BART says depositions from Grant's friends, detained with him, say they heard Mehserle warn Grant he was going to Tase him. They also say Mehserle did not swear or display anger before shooting Grant.
Defense lawyers all along have claimed Mehserle shot Grant by mistake, thinking he was using his Taser.
johannes mehserle, oscar grant, BART, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday