East Bay News
Officials checks for spill following barge fire
SAN FRANCISCO -- Firefighters put out a fire that damaged a barge Tuesday evening and may have caused a hazardous spill in the Bay north of Pittsburg, a dispatcher with the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District said.
Crews responded to reports of fire on a barge located in the water off of McAvoy Road at around 5:30 p.m., the dispatcher said. The fire was declared under control at around 6:30 p.m.
No injuries were reported.
The possibility that fuel spilled from the barge into the Bay during the fire will send hazardous materials teams to monitor the area some time today, U.S. Coast Guard officials said.
fire, bay point, east bay news
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus 57 min ago
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed