East Bay News
Officials checks for spill following barge fire
SAN FRANCISCO -- Firefighters put out a fire that damaged a barge Tuesday evening and may have caused a hazardous spill in the Bay north of Pittsburg, a dispatcher with the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District said.
Crews responded to reports of fire on a barge located in the water off of McAvoy Road at around 5:30 p.m., the dispatcher said. The fire was declared under control at around 6:30 p.m.
No injuries were reported.
The possibility that fuel spilled from the barge into the Bay during the fire will send hazardous materials teams to monitor the area some time today, U.S. Coast Guard officials said.
fire, bay point, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro 11 min ago
- San Jose man charged in two violent sexual assaults 15 min ago
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- What's next for Candlestick Point? 58 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos