East Bay News
Cab driver shot after fending off would-be carjacker
CONCORD, CA -- A cab driver was shot early this morning in Concord after fending off an attempted carjacker, police Lt. Jim Lardieri said.
The cab driver was called to the 3900 block of Northwood Drive sometime before 2 a.m. to pick up a fare, but when he got there, the suspect allegedly grabbed him and pulled him out of the taxi.
The suspect got into the car, but the driver fought back, eventually getting the suspect out of the cab.
The cab driver got back in his car, but as he drove away, the suspect shot at him, striking him in the upper body, Lardieri said.
Police received a call reporting the shooting shortly before 2 a.m. The cab driver was transported to a local hospital where he was listed in stable condition, police said.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Concord Police Department at (925) 671-3030, the department's tip line at (925) 603-5936 or Bay Area Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477.
carjacking, concord, east bay news
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die 58 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday