East Bay News
Obama's advisor tours Oakland facility
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- A top confidante to President Obama got a firsthand look on Friday at federal stimulus dollars at work in the Bay Area.
Senior Presidential Advisor Valerie Jarret toured the San Antonio Neighborhood Health Center in Oakland, along with Congresswoman Barbara Lee.
The center recently received $2 million in stimulus money, to provide additional, health services to Oakland's most culturally diverse district.
Jarrett says the faculty is impressive.
"In an area where the population is struggling each and every day to make ends meet, and doesn't have insurance, you provide an opportunity for them to have the most important care in where it's maternal health care, or whether its helping children with immunizations, whatever the issue, you guys help them right here," says Jarret.
Lee was one of a handful of Democrats at the White House Thursday as the president courted Democrats whose votes are needed to pass his healthcare package.
oakland, stimulus funds, barack obama, east bay news
- Mudslide causes trees on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise 4 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
54 min ago