East Bay News
Students protest education cuts in Lafayette
LAFAYETTE, CA (KGO) -- Hundreds of high school students gathered in Lafayette Sunday night to protest cuts to education, but instead of the typical rally, it was more of a talent show.
The students decided to demonstrate for people what they feel is at risk.
For a couple of hours, students from four area high schools performed for a crowd of about 150 people in downtown Lafayette. They want to convince people to vote for Measure A, a parcel tax that would help offset budget cuts coming from Sacramento to local schools.
Supporters say they realize it is a tough economy for asking people for money.
"It's a sad reality and I never thought it would happen to our district because it's been such a strong district for years," said Las Loma Student Body President Ross Dautel. "It's not an easy thing to do."
"The biggest thing is that the school day will go from seven periods to six periods, and so a lot of the kids who take like a jazz and an extra science have to choose," said Measure A Co-Chair Joni Avery.
The parcel tax for residents in the area would amount to $112 a year per parcel and it would be in place for five years. The money would go to the Acalanes Unified High School District. Residents have to mail in their ballots in order for them to be counted.
Ballots have to make it to the county office by May 4.
lafayette, budget cuts, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- SF firefighters continue to monitor 5-alarm fire 5 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos