East Bay News
Students protest education cuts in Lafayette
LAFAYETTE, CA (KGO) -- Hundreds of high school students gathered in Lafayette Sunday night to protest cuts to education, but instead of the typical rally, it was more of a talent show.
The students decided to demonstrate for people what they feel is at risk.
For a couple of hours, students from four area high schools performed for a crowd of about 150 people in downtown Lafayette. They want to convince people to vote for Measure A, a parcel tax that would help offset budget cuts coming from Sacramento to local schools.
Supporters say they realize it is a tough economy for asking people for money.
"It's a sad reality and I never thought it would happen to our district because it's been such a strong district for years," said Las Loma Student Body President Ross Dautel. "It's not an easy thing to do."
"The biggest thing is that the school day will go from seven periods to six periods, and so a lot of the kids who take like a jazz and an extra science have to choose," said Measure A Co-Chair Joni Avery.
The parcel tax for residents in the area would amount to $112 a year per parcel and it would be in place for five years. The money would go to the Acalanes Unified High School District. Residents have to mail in their ballots in order for them to be counted.
Ballots have to make it to the county office by May 4.
lafayette, budget cuts, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- 5 displaced in two-alarm apartment fire in Alameda
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday