East Bay News
Car fires force evacuations in Union City
UNION CITY, CA (KGO) -- Union City firefighters are on the scene of a blaze that's forced evacuations and damaged several cars overnight.
The fire raged with big flames and lots of smoke right next to apartments. No one was hurt, nor was anyone's residence damaged. But the fire did destroy three vehicles parked in a carport, and the roof of the carport, at an apartment building on H and 10th streets.
The fire broke out just before 3 a.m. and while some residents evacuated, Union City firefighters told others it was safer for them to temporarily shelter-in-place because of a thick wall of smoke between them and the burning cars.
"This fire was challenging in the sense that we had a number of victims that were behind the structure in the smoke that awoke to the fire and were concerned -- so we had to ensure their safety, at the same time that we fought that fire," said Union City Asst. Chief Andy Smith.
"I woke everybody up, and we called everybody, we all got out. Nobody was hurt, and finally nothing damaged. I mean that was the most important," said resident Adolfo Leon.
Firefighters had to break a couple apartment windows to vent the homes -- just in case the fire spread. But in the end, they were able to keep the flames away.
A hazmat team from the Fremont fire department helped contain the melted mess from the cars away from the sewers and say residents will be responsible for cleaning up the rest.
All the residents were able to return home. Now it's up to investigators to determine a cause of this fire.
union city, car fire, east bay news, teresa garcia
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos