East Bay News
Mercury-filled equipment removed from school
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- Aging equipment containing extremely dangerous mercury was removed from an old store room at Oakland High School Thursday.
Mercury had been used in many items found in school science labs, including thermometers, barometers, switches, thermostats and lamps.
Scientists say mercury is hard to contain or clean up after a spill.
"You have this little silver falling on the floor and they put it on their shoes and they bring it home and one of these can pollute thousands of gallons of water," EPA spokesperson Olof Hansen said.
One key problem with disposing of mercury- filled devices is the inconvenience of taking them to hazardous waste sites.
This project is a partnership among Oakland High School, East Bay MUD and the Environmental Protection Agency.
oakland, environmental protection agency, east bay news
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather 23 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested 27 min ago
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Bay Area family competing in national Christmas light competition
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup 10 min ago
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday