East Bay News

Mercury-filled equipment removed from school

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Aging equipment containing extremely dangerous mercury was removed from an old store room at Oakland High School Thursday.

Mercury had been used in many items found in school science labs, including thermometers, barometers, switches, thermostats and lamps.

Scientists say mercury is hard to contain or clean up after a spill.

"You have this little silver falling on the floor and they put it on their shoes and they bring it home and one of these can pollute thousands of gallons of water," EPA spokesperson Olof Hansen said.

One key problem with disposing of mercury- filled devices is the inconvenience of taking them to hazardous waste sites.

This project is a partnership among Oakland High School, East Bay MUD and the Environmental Protection Agency.

(Copyright ©2014 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more East Bay News »


Tags:
oakland, environmental protection agency, east bay news
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement