East Bay News
Beloved Lafayette book store to close its doors
LAFAYETTE, CA (KGO) -- The oldest operating book store in Contra Costa County is closing its doors the summer, as more people turn to the internet to obtain publications.
"We sat down and looked at our business plan four years ago and sort of realized how this story ends," Lafayette Book Store owner Dave Simpson said.
Simpson knew the day would come, but it doesn't make closing his brick and mortar store any less difficult.
"This has been something that we've enjoyed and the community's enjoyed for many, many years and to see that pass has been a challenging thing for all of us," he said.
The Lafayette Book Store opened in 1962 and it has been owned by Simpson for the past 12 years.
Regular customers can't imagine their town without this familiar, friendly place.
"You can go online or go into Barnes & Noble and it's just not the same one-on-one experience," customer Abby Howard said.
But this brand of bookselling is being squeezed out by big chains and online discounters. The retail price for Oprah's book is $30, but sells on Amazon for $15.
"Books like that have become commoditized. And by that I mean not only can you get them at chain book stores at a discount, at Amazon, but also mass market retailers like Costco and Target," Simpson said.
Another issue for this store and others is that you no longer have to have a book to read a book. But not everyone likes their publications on gadgets like the Amazon's Kindle, Barnes and Noble's Nook or Apple's iPad.
"I'd much rather hold a book in my lap where I'm sitting comfortably rather than staring at a screen," book lover Beverly Scaff said.
Simpson says while his store will go away, the business will live on, through its website, special orders, special events and weekly gatherings around town.
And, the popular recommendations will continue.
"We're actually continuing to cultivate the relationships that we developed through the years. We just won't have the physical location to meet in," Simpson said.
The Lafayette Book Store will close on July 29.
contra costa, lafayette, east bay news, laura anthony
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- 8th stage of Amgen Tour of California kicks off in SF
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Shooting in Oakland kills 1, injures another 38 min ago
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Plan to cut down trees in East Bay Hills under review
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 19 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos