East Bay News
Driver wanted after Antioch Hwy 4 double fatal crash
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, CA -- The California Highway Patrol today is continuing to search for the driver of a pickup truck who fled the scene of a crash in Antioch on Tuesday that killed two people and injured a third, CHP Officer Tom Maguire said.
The crash happened at about 4:40 p.m. on the state Highway 4 Bypass near Lone Tree Way.
A silver 1995 Honda Civic was driving west on the bypass alongside a black Ford F-250 pickup truck that was towing a boat, possibly a black-and-white boat used for wakeboarding, Maguire said.
The driver of the pickup swerved into the lane occupied by the Honda, and the driver of the Honda, a 19-year-old Antioch woman, veered away to avoid a crash.
The Honda crossed over the median and entered the eastbound lanes of the bypass, where it struck a motorcycle head-on, Maguire said. The driver of the motorcycle and a passenger were both thrown from the bike.
The motorcycle driver was pronounced dead at the scene. His female passenger was taken to Kaiser Permanente Antioch Medical Center, where she died a short time later.
The driver of the Honda was also taken to Kaiser with injuries to her legs. She is expected to survive, Maguire said.
As of this morning, the Contra Costa County coroner's office was still trying to locate the family members of the two people who were killed before releasing their names to the public, a deputy coroner said.
Although the CHP is still investigating the crash and has not determined who was at fault, investigators want to talk to the driver of the pickup truck, Maguire said.
Portions of the bypass through Antioch and Brentwood and numerous on-ramps and off-ramps connected to it were shut down until about 12:45 a.m. while the investigation was carried out.
contra costa county, antioch, highway 4, east bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe 43 min ago
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
39 min ago