East Bay News
Mi Pueblo Food Center opens store in Newark
NEWARK, CA (KGO) -- A once-vacant market in an Alameda County shopping center is now playing a valuable new role in its community.
The Mi Pueblo Food Center opened Wednesday in Newark's Rosemont Square Mall. It hired 200 employees chosen from among several thousand applicants.
"We're creating many new jobs not only here in Newark, but throughout Northern California, and we're extremely happy by that and because our customers and our community is growing as well as Mi Pueblo is growing," said Juvenal Chavez of Mi Pueblo Food Center.
Mi Pueblo Food Center opened its first store in 1991. It opened markets in Pittsburg, East Palo Alto and San Rafael in the past year. It now has 17 markets in the Bay Area, the Monterey Peninsula, and the Central Valley.
newark, east bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Serious accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 30 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 8 min ago