East Bay News
US Justice Department to review BART shooting
abc7 extra: Mehserle trial analysis from Dean Johnson
LOS ANGELES -- The U.S. Department of Justice will conduct an independent review of the Johannes Mehserle case in order to determine whether or not the shooting merits federal prosecution, according the department.
"The Justice Department has been closely monitoring the state's investigation and prosecution," the department said in a statement.
"The Civil Rights Division, the U.S. Attorney's Office, and the FBI have an open investigation into the fatal shooting and, at the conclusion of the state's prosecution, will conduct an independent review of the facts and circumstances to determine whether the evidence warrants federal prosecution."
Congresswoman Barbara Lee, D-Oakland, said she has been in touch with the justice department.
"I remain in close contact with the Department of Justice and will continue to work with them, the family and the community in the days ahead," she said in a statement.
The statement also addressed local reactions to the Mehserle verdict.
"Understandably there is grave concern in the community," Lee said. "However, during this time our city must come together peacefully so that we can begin to heal."
Lee said she stands with Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums, the City Council and community leaders in supporting people who want to express themselves.
Stay with ABC7NEWS.COM for more on this developing story throughout the day.
BART, johannes mehserle, east bay news
- US Navy sends destroyer to help in plane search 12 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- SF police investigate report of officer-involved shooting 8 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF 43 min ago
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US 23 min ago
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case