East Bay News
Police blame outsiders for Oakland unrest
raw video: Protestors raid Foot Locker
raw video: Crowds gather near dumpsters on fire
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- The majority of the looters and protesters arrested Thursday night by the Alameda County Sheriff's Department do not live in Oakland.
The sheriff's office arrested 78 people. Of those, just 19 live in Oakland. Twenty-eight others live elsewhere in the Bay Area.
Nineteen are from other areas of California. There were 12 out-of-state people arrested.
"Well I don't have any indication; in other words they haven't told me why they're here, but you do have to question why somebody's here from out of state in the middle of Oakland at night causing trouble," sheriff's spokesperson J.D. Nelson said.
Of the 78 arrested, 60 are men. Sixty-six people are being released today on misdemeanor charges. The other 12 are being kept and charged with felonies.
BART, johannes mehserle, crime, east bay news
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose 29 min ago
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service 9 min ago
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter...
9 min ago