East Bay News
Child injured in apparent street race crash
BAY POINT, CA -- A man was arrested in Bay Point today after he apparently crashed his car during a street race and then fled on foot with his 6-year-old daughter, a California Highway Patrol officer said.
The crash was reported at 1:51 p.m. on Port Chicago Highway at Lynbrook Street and Riverside Drive in unincorporated Contra Costa County, CHP Officer Nicole Pacheco said.
CHP Officer Tom Maguire said the man told officers that he had been celebrating his birthday by getting drunk and racing another driver.
He appears to have crashed into another vehicle during the race and then he and his daughter fled the scene on foot.
He was arrested a short distance away on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and child endangerment.
Neither the man nor his daughter appeared to be seriously injured, but an ambulance was called for the child. She was taken to Contra Costa Regional Medical Center in Martinez to be examined.
The case has been referred to Child Protective Services, Maguire said.
Information about the other vehicle involved in the crash was not immediately available.
bay point, car crash, east bay news
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash 45 min ago
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- Police investigate shootings that hospitalized two men
- Credit card skimming devices found at 2 gas stations
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer 27 min ago
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges 59 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos