East Bay News
Police release video of suspects in man's killing
OAKLAND, CA -- Oakland police today released video of a man and woman believed to be involved in the fatal shooting of a 45-year-old Virginia man on Sunday night.
Jinghong Kang was killed in the shooting, which occurred at about 11:30 p.m. in the 1900 block of Webster Street.
Police today released video footage captured by surveillance cameras at a nearby office building minutes before the shooting. The footage shows a man and woman walking toward the scene of the shooting, homicide investigator Mike Gantt said.
Investigators have also extracted close-up still images from the video.
The images show a black man with a dark complexion, believed to be the shooter, who is between 18 and 25 years old, 5 feet 7 to 5 feet 10 inches tall, and weighs 160 to 170 pounds.
He was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt, dark blue jeans, and dark-colored shoes.
The female suspect is described as a black woman with a medium complexion between 18 and 25 years old, 5 feet 5 to 5 feet 6 inches tall, and weighing 140 and 150 pounds.
Police initially believed both suspects were males, but the footage shows the woman with her hood off and she has a small ponytail, Gantt said.
Kang was shot while walking to his car from a dentist's office with a female friend. Kang had a job interview scheduled with Google on Monday, and was visiting Oakland to have his teeth cleaned by the friend, who works as a dental hygienist.
The two were heading to Kang's rental car from the office when the two suspects approached and demanded money, police said.
Both Kang and the woman were pushed to the ground, and the woman heard gunshots.
Gantt said the woman heard Kang say "I only have $17" before he was shot.
"It's senseless," Gantt said. "I'm tired of investigating homicides like this, when people are killing people like a life means nothing."
oakland, crime, shooting, east bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case