East Bay News
BART police nab armed robbery suspect
EL CERRITO, CA -- BART police tracked down an armed robbery suspect Wednesday night along Interstate Highway 80 in El Cerrito, a BART spokesman said.
According to BART spokesman Linton Johnson, at about 10:25 p.m. Wednesday, a man told BART police he had been robbed at gunpoint at the El Cerrito del Norte station.
Officers saw the male suspect run across Highway 80 and both directions of the highway were briefly closed as a pursuit ensued. Local police and a California Highway Patrol helicopter assisted.
BART police eventually found the suspect hiding behind a Honda dealership near the station, Johnson said. A handgun was found nearby.
According to police, the suspect was a parolee with "an extensive criminal history," including robbery, burglary, grand theft, and drug and weapons violations.
Anyone who may have witnessed Wednesday's robbery is asked to contact BART police at (510) 464-7040.
el cerrito, BART, crime, east bay news
- Police make arrest in Daly City shooting
- Relative talks about stowaway teen's struggles
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Oakland A's reject 10-year Coliseum lease offer
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- Prosecutors lay out evidence against Supervisor Carrillo
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- Tentative deal reached in TSA breast-milk lawsuit
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan