East Bay News
1 injured in accident at Oakland Airport
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- There has been an industrial accident at the Oakland Airport involving a tug that was pushing a Southwest Airlines plane away from a gate.
Investigators at Oakland airport are looking into an industrial accident involving a southwest Airlines plane that was pushing away from the gate for a flight to Phoenix.
It caused a lot of concern for the tug driver. The tug is the vehicle that pushes the plane away from the plane. Somehow the driver was pinned between the vehicle and the airplane.
According to Southwest Airlines, he is hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries. No one onboard the plane was injured.
A witness who watched from the terminal told ABC7 News, a bar connecting a tug to the 737 jet at gate 25 on Terminal 2 broke as it was pushing back. The tug then shot forward and struck the plane's landing gear.
The driver was trapped between the landing gear and the vehicle. People at the terminal that the plane would burst into flames, but it did not.
Firefighters freed the man in 30 minutes and rushed him to the hospital. The passengers were taken off the plane and put on another flight to Phoenix.
The plane involved in the accident is still at the gate while investigators go over whether there was some kind of mechanical failure, operator error or a combination of both.
Other flight's landings and take-offs were not affected at the airport.
oakland international airport, southwest airlines, airline industry, oakland, east bay news, eric thomas
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday