East Bay News
1 injured in accident at Oakland Airport
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- There has been an industrial accident at the Oakland Airport involving a tug that was pushing a Southwest Airlines plane away from a gate.
Investigators at Oakland airport are looking into an industrial accident involving a southwest Airlines plane that was pushing away from the gate for a flight to Phoenix.
It caused a lot of concern for the tug driver. The tug is the vehicle that pushes the plane away from the plane. Somehow the driver was pinned between the vehicle and the airplane.
According to Southwest Airlines, he is hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries. No one onboard the plane was injured.
A witness who watched from the terminal told ABC7 News, a bar connecting a tug to the 737 jet at gate 25 on Terminal 2 broke as it was pushing back. The tug then shot forward and struck the plane's landing gear.
The driver was trapped between the landing gear and the vehicle. People at the terminal that the plane would burst into flames, but it did not.
Firefighters freed the man in 30 minutes and rushed him to the hospital. The passengers were taken off the plane and put on another flight to Phoenix.
The plane involved in the accident is still at the gate while investigators go over whether there was some kind of mechanical failure, operator error or a combination of both.
Other flight's landings and take-offs were not affected at the airport.
oakland international airport, southwest airlines, airline industry, oakland, east bay news, eric thomas
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos