East Bay News
Memorial for VA man shot to death in Oakland
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- The widow of a Virginia man killed in Oakland last month while in town for a job interview will attend a community memorial for her husband Wednesday evening in Oakland's Chinatown.
Wendy Wang is in Oakland for the first time to grieve with a community that also mourns the loss of her husband.
"Whenever I hear the city of Oakland, that reminds me of the death of my husband," She said.
It was last month on Oakland's streets, where 45-year-old Jinghong Kang was killed. The computer engineer with a doctorate in math was in town from Virginia for a job interview with Google. He had a late night teeth cleaning from a friend at a dental office near Lake Merritt.
Police say the man and woman seen in surveillance footage shot Kang and took the only money he had in his pocket -- $17.
"I just feel angry that they took his life. I know my husband is a very cooperative person, he would give whatever people would ask," Wang said.
George Huggins and Althea Housley remain in jail facing murder charges.
Kang's friends and family continue to grieve the father of three who hoped to one day quit his computer job and dedicate his life to his church.
Those who loved Kang are are convinced the Google job was his for the taking. Even though his wife wasn't fully convinced that uprooting her family to the Bay Area was the right move, she was willing to do it if it meant a better life.
Now, they'll never know.
"When I'm here, I'm deeply saddened and feel very, very sad when I stand on the city of Oakland," Wang said.
Information about Kang fundraiser:
Non tax-deductable charitable donations: Please make checks payable to "The Church in Dunn Loring" and designate the check memo line to the "Jinghong Kang Family Fund."
Tax deductible charitable donations: Please make checks payable to "The Church in Dunn Loring Needy Saints Fund" This is a benevolence fund maintained by the family's church and is 501c3 tax exempt certified. The church will provide by mail donor acknowledgement letters for donations equal to and in excess of $250.
The Church in Dunn Loring
2317 Morgan Lane
Dunn Loring, VA 22027
oakland, crime, shooting, east bay news, cecilia vega
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley 59 min ago
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Mother, toddler endure violent home invasion robbery 54 min ago
- Pope Francis visits Rome children's hospital 32 min ago
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick 7 min ago
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday